Friday 30 November 2012

Upma - North Indian style

Southern dish Upma in North Indian style

Upma is a salty preparation with main ingredient being Bombay rawa (sooji). In North India people usually make halwa with sooji, with lots of dry fruits and ghee. Newbie here in South I went to a restaurant and found this new dish called upma. I ordered the same and we waited for the same to be served. When the waiter brought it I could understand that the dish was made out of Bombay rawa or sooji.

When I ate it I found it to be a salty dish with vegetables in it. Initially I did not like it as I was more used to eating halwa made out of sooji, however gradually I developed a liking for it and my kids also love it as a weekend snack. It is also healthier as it has boiled vegetables, no Ghee and no Sugar.

Savor the delicious upma. It is snack you can have on a Sunday morning. It will leave you asking for more.

Ingredients - Sooji (Bombay rawa), vegetables at home, onion, tomato, salt, cilantro, peanuts

Steps to follow -
  • Fry all the vegetables. Add salt to taste.
  • Roast the sooji on low heat to make it brownish.
  • Add the vegetables and water to cook it.
  • Garnish with peanuts and cilantro when ready.

1 comment: